House of canons of Santa Maria de Vilabertran (Vilabertran)
What you will find
At the end of the 11th century the church of Vilabertran was part of an ecclesiastical reform movement which has bequeathed us a Romanesque complex, today the best conserved example of a Mediaeval house of canons.
Following the orders of the Church to fight the nobles' power to impose ecclesiastical appointments and the moral laxity of its members, Pere Rigau brought together a group of chaplains to live in a community. At the same time three noble families donated the property of the church to the community. In that way, Vilabertran became one of the first Augustinian houses of canons, from where Pere Rigau tried to spread the reform by founding others.
To house the community, between the 12th and 13th centuries accommodation was built around the cloister, forming a unified architectural complex. Later the house of canons was extended with the funeral chapel of the family Rocabertí (14th century) and a large courtyard with the rooms that were outside the cloister precinct (18th century).
But the landmark building is the church, which shows the transition of building styles between the 11th and 12th centuries. Inside there is a processional cross, the largest piece of Gothic goldsmithery in Catalonia.
Information for visits
C/ Abadia, 4
17760 Vilabertran (Alt Empordà)
Entitled to concessionary admission charge:
- People aged 65 and over.
- Carnet Jove holders.
- International Student Identity Card holders.
- Large or single-parent family book holders.
- Groups of ten or more people who are not tourists. If any of the persons entitled to free admission continues to enjoy this rate.
Entitled to free admission:
- Children aged under 16.
- Unemployed people upon presentation of proof of their status.
- Accredited members of ICOM (International Council of Museums) or ICOMOS (International Council of Monuments).
- Accredited members of the Associació de Museòlegs de Catalunya.
- Accredited professional tourist guides upon presentation of proof of their status.
- Teachers who work in education centres that provide government-regulated education, accredited by the head of their education centre.
- Accredited members of the press visiting in the course of their duties who have provided prior notification of their visit in writing.
- Disabled people upon presentation of a certificate confirming their disabled status. The persona accompanying them will also benefit from a free admission rate if the disabled status certificate states that the disabled person requieres a companion.
- Foster families upon presentation of proof of their status.
- School partis (pupils in the general education system and special education with teaching staff) with a prior booking.
- Free admission on the last Tuesday of every month between 1 October and 30 June
- Groups that book through a tourism-related agency, operator or similar company will benefit from a 25% reduction on the applicable admission rate. The authorised guide or person accompanying the group will be given free admission.
NOTE: These times are now the ones in use. Please ignore any others published earlier on this or any other website or in informative leaflets and triptychs.
THE MONUMENT WILL BE CLOSED FROM 2 TO 17 JANUARY 2020, BOTH INCLUSIVE.
Last admission 30 minutes before closing time.
From 1 September to 30 Juny:
from Thursday from Saturday: from 10 a.m. to 1.30 p.m. and from 3 p.m. to 5.30 p.m.
Sundays and local holidays: from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m.
EASTER OPENING TIMES (Last admission 30 minutes before clossing time)
Saturday: from 10 a.m. to 1.30 p.m. and from 3 p.m. to 5.30 p.m.
Friday, Sunday and Monday: from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m.
July and August
from Tuesday to Sunday: from 10 a.m. to 1.30 p.m. and from 3 p.m. to 6.30 p.m.
Closed on Mondays except public holidays, 25 and 26 December and 1 and 6 January.
Activities aimed at the general public with advance booking on tel. 972387559 or e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Guided tours with advance booking.
Length of the visit: one hour.
Group visits with advance booking on tel. 972387559 or e-mail: email@example.com
The facilities are equipped for people with disabilities and the blind.