Carthusian Monastery of Escaladei (La Morera de Montsant)
What you will find
The Carthusian Monastery of Escaladei stands at the end of a valley, nestling beneath the Montsant hills. In this quiet spot the Carthusian monks followed a way of life marked by silence and prayer, combining the solitude of the hermit with the shelter of community life.
The Carthusian Monastery was founded in 1194, thanks to a grant by King Alfons I to settle population in lands which he had just conquered. Later donations and purchases made the monastery a great feudal lord, owner of a large territory equivalent to the present district of El Priorat.
Escaladei was the first Carthusian Monastery on the peninsula and took part in the foundation of many later ones. The prestige and influence it enjoyed, with the revenue from its considerable estates, allowed Escaladei to live a period of splendour between the 16th and 17th centuries. That allowed the Carthusians to undertake a sweeping architectural refurbishment, decorated with works by the famous Escaladei school of religious painting.
From the first half of the 19th century the confiscation of lands belonging to the Church, combined with the looting that took place during the popular uprisings led to the abandonment and deep degradation of the complex. Now, however, the latest restoration work has brought part of that splendour to light. It can be seen in the recently opened area where community life went on.
Information for visits
Camí de la Cartoixa, s/n
43379 Escaladei - La Morera de Montsant (Priorat)
Special concession: €1.50
Entitled to concessionary admission charge:
- Over 65
- Under 25
- Families (2 adults and one or more children)
- Persons with disability certificate
Entitled to special concessionary admission charge:
- Groups of students with teacher who have made an advance booking between 1 July and 31 August
- Persons with large family or single parent card
- Families that are fostering a child in the guardianship of the Catalan government, duly accredited.
Entitled to free admission:
- Under 8
- Members of ICOM (International Council of Museums) or ICOMOS (International Council of Monuments), duly accredited
- Members of the Associació de Museòlegs de Catalunya, duly accredited
- Professional tourist guides, duly accredited
- Formal education teachers, duly accredited
- Groups of students with teacher who have made an advance booking between 1 September and 30 June.
- Free of charge last Tuesday of each month between October and June
- Groups that book the ticket through travel agencies or similar will be entitled to a 25% discount on the applicable charge. The authorised guide or person accompanying the group will be admitted free of charge
ON APRIL 28, 29 AND 30 (SATURDAY, SUNDAY AND MONDAY) THE MONUMENT WILL OPEN WITH SUMMER SCHEDULE (FROM 10.00 A.M. TO 8.00 P.M.).
NOTE: These times are now the ones in use. Please ignore any others published earlier on this or any other website or in informative leaflets and triptychs.
Last admission 30 minutes before closing time.
From Tuesday to Sunday, including public holidays
- From 16 December to 28 February: from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- From 1 March to 31 May: from 10 a.m. to 5.30 p.m.
EASTER OPENING TIME (Last admission 30 minutes before closing time)
Friday, Saturday and Sunday: from 10 a.m. to 7 p.m.
Monday: from 10 a.m. to 5.30 p.m.
- From 1 June to 30 September: from 10 a.m. to 8 p.m.
- From 1 October to 15 December: from 10 a.m. to 5.30 p.m.
Closed on Mondays except public holidays, 25 and 26 December and 1 and 6 January.
Activities intended for the general public with advance booking tel. 977 638 329 or e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
From 1 October to 31 May:
- Saturdays and Sundays: 11.00 a.m. (Spanish), 12.15 p.m. (Catalan), and at 1.30 p.m. (Catalan).
From 1 to 30 June:
- Saturdays and Sundays: at 11.00 a.m. (Catalan), 12.15 p.m (Spanish), 1.30 p.m (Catalan), 5 p.m. (Spanish) and 6.30 p.m. (Catalan).
From 1 July to 30 September:
- From Tuesday to Sunday: at 11.00 a.m. (Catalan), 12.15 p.m (Spanish), 1.30 p.m. (Catalan), 5 p.m. (Spanish) and 6.30 p.m. (Catalan).
Length of the activity: one and a half hours (guided tour + audiovisual).
Charge: For the guided tour €3.00 must be added to the admission charge.
Visits for groups with advance booking tel. 977 638 329 or e-mail: email@example.com
The facilities are not equipped for people with disabilities