Castle and Monastery of Escornalbou (Riudecanyes)
What you will find
Escornalbou takes us into a time when the well-to-do bourgeoisie restored ancient buildings to turn them into residences. And so, in 1911 Eduard Toda bought the ancient monastery of Sant Miquel d'Escornalbou and restored it with total freedom.
The tour introduces us to the atmosphere of a well-to-do house in the early 20th century, where the main figures of the Renaixença or Catalan Revival met as Toda's guests. In the rooms there are samples of the collections he had gathered on his journeys. Vice-consul in Macao, Hong Kong and Shanghai, and consul in Egypt, he used those experiences to discover different cultures. He took a special interest in Ancient Egypt and took part in the excavations at Thebes. He put together a private collection of Egyptian art, which he loaned to the National Archaeological Museum in Madrid and the Victor Balaguer Museum in Vilanova i la Geltrú.
Some pieces also reveal the interest aroused by the Renaixença in the history of Catalonia, and especially Poblet Monastery.
Amidst the interpretation Toda made of the original buildings we can make out the remains of the monastery. Founded in 1153, the monastery of Sant Miquel d'Escornalbou was the centre of the barony that included the towns Duesaigües, Riudecanyes, Vilanova d'Escornalbou, L'Argentera, Colldejou, Pradell de la Teixeta and La Torre de Fontaubella.
Toda preserved a few elements like the church and the cloister, althought he rebuilt it to turn it into a garden from where he could enjoy one of the finest views of the Tarragona region.
Information for visits
Ctra d'Escornalbou, s/n
43771 Riudecanyes (Baix Camp)
Visits without a guide are not permitted.
Working days (excluding from July 15 to September 15)
Concession: €1.50. Also applies for free visit only to: church, cloister, crypt and Eduard Toda garden.
Week-end and from July 15 to Septembre 15
Standard: €5,50 (admission + guided tour)
Concession: €4,50 (admission + guided tour)
Especial: €3,00 (guided tour)
Entitled to concessionary admission charge:
- People aged 65 and over.
- Carnet Jove holders.
- International Student Identity Card holders.
- Large or single-parent family book holders.
- Groups of ten or more people who are not tourists. If any of the persons entitled to free admission continues to enjoy this rate.
Entitled to free admission (especial):
- Children aged under 16.
- Unemployed people upon presentation of proof of their status.
- Accredited members of the ICOM (International Council of Museums) or ICOMOS (International Council of Monuments).
- Accredited members of the Associació de Museòlegs de Catalunya.
- Accredited professional tourist guides upon presentation of proof of their status.
- Teachers who work in education centres that provide government-regulated education, accredited by the head of hteir education centre.
- Accredited members of the press visiting in the course of their duties who have provided prior notification of their visit in writing.
- Disabled people upon presentation of a certificate confirming their disabled status. The person accompanying them will also benefit from a reduced admission rate if the disabled status certificate states that the disabled person requires a companion.
- Foster families upon presentation of proof of their status.
- School parties (pupils in the general education system and special education with teaching staff) with a prior booking.
- Free admission on the last Tuesday of every month between 1 October and 30 June
- Groups that book through a tourism-realted agency, operator or similar company will benefit from a 25% reduction on the applicable admission rate. The authorised guide or person accompanying the group will be given free admission.
NOTE: These times are now the ones in use. Please ignore any others published earlier on this or any other website or in informative leaflets and triptychs.
Last admission 30 minutes before closing time.
VISITS WITHOUT A GUIDE ARE NOT PERMITTED
Guided tours schedule from 1 October to 15 December and from 1 March to 31 May:
- Saturday and Sunday: 10.30 a.m. (Catalan), 11.45 a.m. (Spanish), 1.00 p.m. (Catalan), 2.15 p.m. (Spanish) and 4.00 p.m. (Catalan).
Guided tours schedule from 16 December to 28 February:
- Saturday and Sunday: 10.30 a.m. (Catalan), 11.45 a.m. (Spanish), 1.00 p.m. (Catalan) and 2.30 p.m. (Spanish).
Guided tours schedule from 1 June to 15 July and from 12 to 30 September:
- Saturday and Sunday: 10.30 a.m. (Catalan), 11.45 a.m. (Spanish), 1.00 p.m. (Catalan), 2.15 p.m. (Spanish), 4.00 p.m. (Catalan), 5.15 p.m. (Spanish) and 6.30p.m. (Catalan)
Guided tours schedule from 16 July to 11 September:
- From Tuesday to Sunday: 10.30 a.m. (Catalan), 11.45 a.m. (Spanish), 1.00 p.m. (Catalan), 2.15 p.m. (English), 4.00 p.m. (Catalan), 5.15 p.m. (Spanish) and 6.30 (Catalan).
For more information contact the monument.
From Tuesday to Sunday, including public holidays
- From 16 December to 28 February: from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- From 1 March to 31 May: from 10 a.m. to 5.30 p.m.
EASTER OPENING TIMES (Last admission 30 minutes before closing time)
Friday, Saturday and Sunday: from 10 a.m. to 7 p.m.
Monday: from 10 a.m. to 5.30 p.m.
Easter guided tours schedule
Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday: Catalan: 10.30 h, 13.00 h and 16.00 h; Spanish: 11.45 h and 14.15 h
Friday, Saturday and Sunday: Catalan: 10.30 h, 11.45 h, 13.00 h, 16.00 h and 17.15 h; Spanish: 11.00 h, 12.15 h, 13.45 h, 16.30 h and 17.45 h
Easter Monday: Catalan: 10.30 h, 13.00 h and 16.00 h; Spanish: 11.45 h and 14.15 h
- From 1 June to 30 September: from 10 a.m. to 8 p.m.
- From 1 October to 15 December: from 10 a.m. to 5.30 p.m.
Closed on Mondays except public holidays, 25 and 26 December and 1 and 6 January.
VISITS WITHOUT A GUIDE ARE NOT PERMITTED.
For more information about times and languages, please contact the monastery itself. Tel.: 977834007 or e-mail: email@example.com
Activities intended for the general public with advance booking, tel. 977 638 329. From Tuesday to Friday. From October 1 to May 31 from 10 a.m. to 5.30 p.m. From June 1 to September 30 from 10 a.m. to 7 p.m.
For group visits with prior arrangement, tel. 977 638 329. From Tuesday to Friday. From October 1 to May 31 from 10 a.m. to 5.30 p.m. From June 1 to September 30 from 10 a.m. to 7 p.m.
or e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
The facilities are not equipped for people with disabilities.