Claramunt Castle (La Pobla de Claramunt)
What you will find
Claramunt Castle stands on a hill overlooking the Òdena basin. Its history, marked by wars, is a series of destructions and reconstructions, but despite everything its structure and impressive appearance as a fortress have been conserved until today.
Founded in the second half of the 10th century, it was one of a dense network of castles that marked the boundary between the County of Barcelona and Al-Andalus, designed to protect and organise the territory.
The castle was entrusted to the house of Claramunt, who held it in their domain until the 11th century. Later it came into the possession of the House of Cardona, who made it the administrative centre of the rule of the Cardona-Medinaceli over the lands of the Òdena basin, except for Igualada. With other nearby castles Claramunt remained under the jurisdiction of the lineage until it died out.
Witness to countless wars, the fortress has been demolished and rebuilt on several occasions since 1463 when, in the war between Joan II and the General Council, it was badly damaged for the first time. After the war, Joan Ramon Folc III de Cardona ordered the rebuilding of the castle, and work continued until the 16th century. But in 1714, after the War of the Spanish Succession, it was partly pulled down and was never again inhabited.
The fortress conserves the classic structure of a 12th century castle, divided into two precincts separating the residential part, with the hall and the keep, from the lower precinct, where the maintenance services were housed. Today it looks like a great courtyard surrounded by walls.
Information for visits
Camí del Castell
08787 La Pobla de Claramunt (Anoia)
Tel.: 938297769 - 670225516 (castle) - 938086075 (Town Hall)
Special concession: €1.50
Entitled to concessionary admission charge:
- Over 65
- Under 25
- Families (2 adults and one or more children)
- Persons with disability certificate
Entitled to special concessionary admission charge:
- Groups of students with teacher who have made an advance booking between 1 July and 31 August
- Persons with large family or single parent card.
- Families that are fostering a child in the guardianship of the Catalan government, duly accredited.
Entitled to free admission:
- Under 8
- Members of ICOM (International Council of Museums) or ICOMOS (International Council of MOnuments), duly accredited
- Members of the Associació de Museòlegs de Catlaunya, duly accredited
- Professional tourist guides, duly accredited
- Formal education teachers, duly accredited
- Groups of students with teacher who have made an advance booking between 1 September and 30 June.
- Free of charge last Tuesday of each month between October and June
- Groups that book the ticket through travel agencies or similar will be entitled to a 25% discount on the applicable charge. The authorised guide or persona accompanying the group will be admitted free of charge.
NOTE: These times are now the ones in use. Please ignore any others published earlier on this or any other website or in informative leaflets and triptychs.
Last admission 30 minutes before closing time.
From Tuesday to Sunday, including public holidays
- From October to 31 April: from 09.30 a.m. to 2 p.m. and from 3 p.m to 5 p.m.
- From 1 Mat to 30 September: from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. and from 4 p.m. to 7 p.m.
Closed on Mondays and Tuesdays except public holidays, 25 and 26 December and 1 and 6 January.
Access to the castle is to walk (25 min duration approx.)
For more information call on tel. 670225516, from Wednesday to Sunday, or the Town Council during office hours, tels. 938086075 or 938086442.
To arrange group visits and for information tels.: 670225516 / 938086075 / 938086442 or e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Length of the visit: one hour
The facilities are partially equipped for people with disabilities and the blind.
If any person with impaired mobility wishes to visit the fortified site, a key can be requested to open the vehicle access chain across the route up to Claramunt Castle. This request must be sent in writing to the Town Council (email@example.com) and a confirmation reply awaited.