Miravet Castle (Miravet)
What you will find
Miravet Castle, an imposing fortress surrounded by a 25 metre high wall that seems to spring from the rocks, stands on a hill dominating the Ebro river and the lands around it.
This strategic location has drawn settlements since prehistory and it has played a leading role in many conflicts.
Today we can still see part of the structures of an Andalusian fortress on top of which the Templar castle was raised immediately after the conquest of these lands by Ramon Berenguer IV. The castle was a gift to the Order of the Temple, who made it the headquarters of the Templar province of Catalonia and Aragón for what would be the period of the zenith of the power and splendour of the history of Miravet. The end of that period also saw the most dramatic episode in its history: a siege that lasted over a year and preceded the disappearance of the Order of the Temple.
Although the castle was rebuilt later to adapt to the defensive requirements that arose with the coming of artillery, the appearance and the structures that have lasted down to our time are essentially the work of the Templars. And so Miravet has become one of the finest examples of Catalan military architecture of the 12th-13th centuries.
Information for visits
Camí del Castell, s/n
43747 Miravet (Ribera d'Ebre)
Special concession: €1.50
Entitled to concessionary admission charge:
- Over 65
- Under 25
- Families (2 adults and one or more children)
- Persons with disability certificate.
Entitled to special concessionary admission charge:
- Groups of students with teacher who have made an advance booking between 1 July and 31 August.
- Persons with large family or single parent card.
- Families that are fostering a child in the guardianship of the Catalan government, duly accredited.
Entitled to free admission:
- Under 8
- Members of ICOM (International Council of Museums) or ICOMOS (International Council of Monuments), duly accredited.
- Members of the the Associació de Museòlegs de Catalunya, duly accredited.
- Professional tourist guides, duly accredited.
- Formal education teachers, duly accredited.
- Groups of students with teacher who have made an advance booking between 1 September and 30 June.
- Free of charge last Tuesday of each month between October and June.
- Groups that book the ticket through travel agencies or similar will be entitled to a 25% discount on the applicable charge. The authorised guide or person accompanying the group will be admitted free of charge.
Tuesdays and local public holidays, free of charge for all.
ON APRIL 28, 29 AND 30 (SATURDAY, SUNDAY AND MONDAY) THE MONUMENT WILL OPEN WITH SUMMER SCHEDULE (FROM 10.00 A.M. TO 8.00 P.M.).
NOTE: These times are now the ones in use. Please ignore any others published earlier on this or any other website or in informative leaflets and triptychs.
Last admission 30 minutes before closing time.
Tuesday to Sunday, including public holidays.
- From 16 December to 28 February: from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- From 1 March to 31 Mai: from 10 a.m. to 5.30 p.m.
EASTER OPENING TIMES (Last admission 30 minutes before closing time)
Friday, Saturday and Sunday: from 10 a.m. to 7 p.m.
Monday: from 10 a.m. to 5.30 p.m.
- From 1 June to 30 September: from 10 a.m. to 8 p.m.
- From 1 October to 15 December: from 10 a.m. to 5.30 p.m.
Closed on Mondays except public holidays, 25 and 26 December and 1 and 6 January.
From 1 to 30 June:
- Saturday and Sunday: 11.00 a.m. (Catalan), 12.15 p.m. (Spanish), 1.30 p.m. (Catalan), 5.00 p.m. (Spanisch) and 6.00 p.m. (Catalan).
From 1 October to 15 December and from 1 March to 31 May:
- Saturday and Sunday: 11.00 a.m. (Catalan), 12.15 p.m. (Spanish), 1.30 p.m. (Catalan) and 4.00 p.m. (Spanish).
From 15 December to 28 February:
- Saturday and Sunday: 11.00 a.m. (Catalan) and 12.15 p.m. (Spanish).
from 1 July to 30 September:
- From Tuesday to Sunday: 11.00 a.m. (Catalan), 12.15 p.m. (Spanish), 1.30 p.m. (Catalan), 5.00 (Spanish) and 6.30 p.m. (Catalan).
For the guided tour 3 euros must be added to the admission charge.
For more information: tel. 977638329 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
Length of the visit: 45 minutes
Group guided tours
Guided tours for groups with advance booking
Tel. information and bookings: 977638329 or e-mail email@example.com
The facilities are not equipped for people with disabilities.