The Manresana Tower (Els Prats de Rei)
What you will find
In the 10th century the county of Osona spread its dominion over the lands of Anoia and Segarra. The invasion of these lands was guarded by a network of watchtowers, the best conserved of which is La Manresana in Prats de Rei.
A castle was built around it, but all that remains is the foundations of the walls, one room and the tower, refurbished in the 12th century. Despite the walls around it, the tower was still the strongest part of the castle, since it was the last refuge for the defenders when the fortress fell. For that reason it was built with well carved stone ashlars, bound with mortar, and had a single door half way up reached by a ladder that could be drawn up behind the retreat.
With a height of 21 metres, it provided a sweeping panorama of the surroundings. For that reason it was chosen as an observation point by the pro-Hapsburg army in the battle they fought at Prats de Rei against the Bourbon forces in late 1711, during the War of the Spanish Succession.
Information for visits
Paratge de la Manresana. Polígon 14
08281 Els Prats de Rei (Anoia)
NOTE: These times are now the ones in use. Please ignore any others published earlier on this or any other website or in informative leaflets and triptychs.
The facilities are not equipped for people with disabilities.