Castle and Monastery of Escornalbou (Riudecanyes)
What you will find
Escornalbou takes us into a time when the well-to-do bourgeoisie restored ancient buildings to turn them into residences. And so, in 1911 Eduard Toda bought the ancient monastery of Sant Miquel d'Escornalbou and restored it with total freedom.
The tour introduces us to the atmosphere of a well-to-do house in the early 20th century, where the main figures of the Renaixença or Catalan Revival met as Toda's guests. In the rooms there are samples of the collections he had gathered on his journeys. Vice-consul in Macao, Hong Kong and Shanghai, and consul in Egypt, he used those experiences to discover different cultures. He took a special interest in Ancient Egypt and took part in the excavations at Thebes. He put together a private collection of Egyptian art, which he loaned to the National Archaeological Museum in Madrid and the Victor Balaguer Museum in Vilanova i la Geltrú.
Some pieces also reveal the interest aroused by the Renaixença in the history of Catalonia, and especially Poblet Monastery.
Amidst the interpretation Toda made of the original buildings we can make out the remains of the monastery. Founded in 1153, the monastery of Sant Miquel d'Escornalbou was the centre of the barony that included the towns Duesaigües, Riudecanyes, Vilanova d'Escornalbou, L'Argentera, Colldejou, Pradell de la Teixeta and La Torre de Fontaubella.
Toda preserved a few elements like the church and the cloister, althought he rebuilt it to turn it into a garden from where he could enjoy one of the finest views of the Tarragona region.
Information for visits
Ctra d'Escornalbou, s/n
43771 Riudecanyes (Baix Camp)
Visits without a guide are not permitted.
Working days (excluding from July 15 to September 15)
Concession: €1.50. Also applies for free visit only to: church, cloister, crypt and Eduard Toda garden.
Special concession: €1.00
Week-end and from July 15 to Septembre 15
Standard: €5,50 (admission + guided tour)
Concession: €4,50 (admission + guided tour)
Special concession: €4.00 (admission + guided tour)
Especial: €3,00 (guided tour)
Entitled to concessionary admission charge:
- Over 65
- Under 25
- Families (2 adults and one or more children)
- Persons with disability certificate
Entitled to special concessionary admission charge:
- Groups of students with teacher who have made an advance booking between 1 July and 31 August
- Persons with large family or single parent card
Entitled to free admission (especial):
- Under 8
- Members of ICOM (International Council of Museums) or ICOMOS (International Council of Monuments), duly accredited
- Members of the Associació de Museòlegs de Catalunya, duly accredited
- Professional tourist guides, duly accredited
- Formal education teachers, duly accredited
- Groups of students with teachers who have made an advance booking between 1 September and 30 June.
- Free of the charge last Tuesday of each month between October and June
- Groups that book the ticket through travel agencies or similar will be entitled to a 25% discount on the applicable charge. The authorised guide or persona accompanying the group will be admitted free of charge
NOTE: These times are now the ones in use. Please ignore any others published earlier on this or any other website or in informative leaflets and triptychs.
Last admission 30 minutes before closing time.
Visits without a guide are not permitted.
Guided tours from 1 October to 31 Mai: 10.30 a.m., 11.30a.m., 12.30 p.m., 1.30 p.m., 3.30 p.m. and 4.30 p.m.
Guided tours from 1 June to 30 September: 10.30 a.m., 11.30 a.m., 12.30 p.m., 1.30 p.m., 4.30 p.m., 5.30 p.m. and 6.30 p.m.
For more information contact the monument.
From Tuesday to Sunday, including public holidays
- From 16 December to 28 February: from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- From 1 March to 31 May: from 10 a.m. to 5.30 p.m.
EASTER OPENING TIMES (Last admission 30 minutes before closing time)
Friday, Saturday and Sunday: from 10 a.m. to 7 p.m.
Monday: from 10 a.m. to 5.30 p.m.
- From 1 June to 30 September: from 10 a.m. to 8 p.m.
- From 1 October to 15 December: from 10 a.m. to 5.30 p.m.
Closed on Mondays except public holidays, 25 and 26 December and 1 and 6 January.
VISITS WITHOUT A GUIDE ARE NOT PERMITTED.
For more information about times and languages, please contact the monastery itself. Tel.: 977834007 or e-mail: email@example.com
Activities intended for the general public with advance booking, tel. 977 638 329. From Tuesday to Friday. From October 1 to May 31 from 10 a.m. to 5.30 p.m. From June 1 to September 30 from 10 a.m. to 7 p.m.
For group visits with prior arrangement, tel. 977 638 329. From Tuesday to Friday. From October 1 to May 31 from 10 a.m. to 5.30 p.m. From June 1 to September 30 from 10 a.m. to 7 p.m.
or e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
The facilities are not equipped for people with disabilities.