Sant Pere de Rodes monumental complex (El Port de la Selva)
What you will find
At the head of the Verdera Sierra rises one of the most interesting complexes for discovering the Mediaeval world. Here we find three elements that represent the pillars of feudal society: those who pray, in Sant Pere de Rodes Monastery; those who produce, in the village of Santa Creu; and those who fight, in Verdera Castle.
The centre of the complex is the Monastery of Sant Pere, which became the most important one in the country of Empúries both for the leading role of its abbots and because it was a major centre o pilgrimage thanks to the relics in its custody.
From the time it was founded it enjoyed the protection of the Counts of Empúries, who endowed it with lands and privileges, which made it an important feudal lord in its own right. Among its domains was Santa Creu de Rodes, a village engaged fundamentally in trade and craftsmanship, which met the needs of the monastery. Thanks to the pilgrimages, it thrived between the 12th and 14th centuries and had as many as 250 inhabitants. But wars, looting and the ravages of blighted harvests and epidemics eventually drove everyone away, never to return.
The safety of the complex depended on Sant Salvador de Verdera Castle, which symbolises the warrior aspects of feudal society. The fortress had been donated to the monastery by the Counts of Empúries, but when they realised its strategic value, dominating Cap de Creus, they tried to recover it by provoking constant confrontations with the abbots.
The outstanding element of the complex is the monastery church which, for its originality and antiquity, is an excepcional piece of Catalan Romanesque. Built between the 10th and 11th centuries to house the pilgrims, it enables us to grasp the splendour of the monastery. The building is notable for the great height provided by an original system of pillars and double columns, and for the richness of the ornamentation on the capitals and the almost vanished doorway, the work of the Mestre de Cabestany.
Information for visits
Special concession: €3.00
Entitled to concessionary admission charge:
- Over 65
- Under 25
- Families (2 adults and one or more children)
- Persons with disability certificate
Entitled to special concessionary admission charge:
- Groups of students with teacher who have made an advance booking between 1 July and 31 August
- Persons with large family or single parent card
- Families that are fostering a child in the guardianship of the Catalan government, duly accredited.
Entitled to free admission:
- Under 8
- Members of ICOM (International Council of Museums) or ICOMOS (International Council of Monuments), duly accredited
- Members of the Associació de Museòlegs de Catalunya, duly accredited
- Professional tourist guides, duly accredited
- Formal education teachers, duly accredited
- Groups of students with teacher who have made an advance booking between 1 September and 30 June.
- Free of charge last Tuesday of each month between October and June
- Groups that book the ticket through travel agencies or similr will be entitled to a 25% discount on the applicable charge. The authorised guide or person accompanying the group will be admitted free of charge.
ON 24 AND 31 DECEMBER, THE MONUMENT WILL CLOSE AT 2 P.M.
NOTE: These times are now the ones in use. Please ignore any others published earlier on this or any other website or in informative leaflets and triptychs.
Last admission 30 minutes before closing time.
From Tuesday to Sunday, including public holidays.
- From 1 October to 31 May: from 10 a.m. to 5.30 p.m.
EASTER OPENING TIMES (Last admission 30 minutes before closing time)
Friday, Saturday and Sunday: from 10 a.m. to 7 p.m.
Monday: from 10 a.m. to 5.30 p.m.
- From 1 June to 30 September: from 10 a.m. to 8 p.m.
SCHEDULE SAINT HELENA OF RODES JULY AND AUGUST
From Tuesday to Sunday: from 11.30 a.m. to 2.30 pm, and from 4.00 p.m. to 6.30 p.m.
Closed on Mondays except public holidays, 25 and 26 December and 1 and 6 January.
Guided tours for individuals
Activities for the general public. Check out our guided tours program in the Hightlights section or ask for more information on tel.: 972387559 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
Guided tours for groups
Visits for groups or individuals who wish a private visit with one of the guides of the monument. You can make the booking of your visit on tel.: 972387559 or e-mail email@example.com
The facilities are not equipped for people with disabilities.
TO ACCESS THE RESTAURANT YOU MUST HAVE ADMISSION TICKET.
Closed 20, 21, 22 and 23, October 2017.
Web del restaurant